Sunday, November 30, 2008
In the past 10 days I have....
1. Cared for a little boy with over 85% of his body burned and who unfortunately died.
2. Operated on a woman who’s eye had been stabbed by the horn of a bull..
3. Operated on a man with a bowel obstruction, resulting in us draining over 6 liters of liquid from his stomach.
4. Circumcised a man suffering from Paraphimosis.
5. Spent 4 hours in the middle of the night operating on a 2 month old girl with a Perforated Umbilical Hernia and proudly closed the incision completely on my own.
6. Spent over 6 hours in the operating room doing 2 Hysterectomies.
7. Been awoken at midnight to run to the hospital to care for a stab wound victim with a knife entering one side of his shoulder and exiting the other.
8. Welcomed a screaming and healthy little boy into the world after performing an emergency C-Section on his mom very first thing in the morning.
9. Done two biopsies on two different potentially malignant tumors.
10. Read an ultrasound for a woman with malignant Polycystic Ovarian Cancer which has matastisized into her liver.
11. Learned how to do a Laryngoscopy, Bronchioscopy, Gastroscopy and Colonoscopy.
12. Sutured the head of a teacher who was beaten with a stick by a fellow teacher.
13. Run over 50 miles.
14. Read 3 books.
15. Never slept so soundly in my life.
In Short...Bush Africa... Exhaustion.